Creativity and Ramblings from the heart of NYC and around the World

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Brutus goodus? Well...

Julius Caesar photo As I had forewarned yesterday, I saw Julius Caesar on Broadway liast night with Denzel Washington playing Brutus. He was good. Good. I have to heartily admit that the actor playing Casius, Colm Feore, stole the show. He has many seasons of Shakespeare's plays under his belt from a theatre in Canada...and it shows! The set was MAGNIFICENT! It was so rich and thick. WELL DONE! The costumes...I'm still not sure how I feel about them. The costumes, as shown in the photo to the left, are modern...the set...semi modern. Dmitri made a good point last night in telling me he found the set, although wonderful to look at, too modern as it looks OLD...and it wouldn't yet BE OLD if it was in Ancient Rome.
It's worth seeing. Be aware that you may want to spend a bit more on tickets and get floor seats then balcony...not due to the view. The view is fine...it's the audience. I think for many of the the members of the audience, this was their first Shakespeare production, possibly their first Broadway show. This is a great thing...however...their behavior was like that of being at home in front of a DVD. The talking, cell phone ringing and giggling (and giggling and giggling) at the sight of a naked man getting from the massage table into his robe...it often over shadowed the dialog. It was often very distracting. All-in-all it was a lovely night.

Let me roll back a few hours...to dinner...
I arrived at the Jewel of India ready to order and have food waiting when Dmitri joined me. I presented the $25 certificate that I'd bought (per their rule to present it prior to ordering) and was told that this promotion had been discontinued...even though I had just 30 minutes prior been on the website where they were still being sold. The waiter was nasty...the manager even more rude. Then, they were shocked and nastier YET when I decided to get up and leave without eatting there. The waiter chased me to the door and asked me to stay. I asked him to honor his certificate. He told me "I cannot." So I left. It wasn't the $25, but the principle. A good experience would have led us to return on another occasion. A bad one...well...voila.
We went to the dinner across from the theatre and I had a VERY TASTY Buffalo burger...at less than half the $$ I would have spent at the Indian restaurant. YUMMY!


Domino KnittingDonna Kooler's Encyclopedia of CrochetBuilding the Library a bit more
I bought 2 books today which hopefully will arrive tomorrow (yeah for intown free delivery in NYC from Barnes and Noble.com!) After reading Naive Knitting's wonderful review of Domino Knitting by Vivian Hoxbro, I scooped it up. I also picked up Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet.



Nine Parts of DesireNine Parts of DesireTonight I'm off to see Nine Parts of Desire. As posted on my ticket club, "Heather Raffo's solo work NINE PARTS OF DESIRE offers a look into the ordinary yet extraordinary lives of a cross-section of Iraqi women, lifting the veil on exactly what it means to be a woman in the age-old war zone. Directed by Joanna Settle, the play is a meditation on the oppression of women in a country overshadowed by war."
It won the 2005 Lucille Lortel Nomination for Best Solo Show.
I'll let you know how it is!

2 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

Hi, I love your blog! The colors and lay-out are great. I noticed you use blogspot like I do. Please tell me how are you able to post your photos with what appears to be text-wrapping. At first glance, it looks like a typepad lay-out. Please share.

12:48 AM

 
Blogger Gewel said...

Lucky! That's the hottest ticket in town. And Colm Feore is way underrated. I love me some Denzel... But Feore can take any part and make it special.

9:12 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home