Creativity and Ramblings from the heart of NYC and around the World

Monday, February 28, 2005

DINNER TIME - MMM-HMM


name it again

So what does a girl do when her office closes a little early?
Go home and cook herself a proper dinner!
Voila!
Citrus Shrimp with Mango Salsa served over rice. Can you say YUM?
OK OK - the recipe...It's an adaptation of the Spicy Citrus Shrimp recipe in Jan 2005's SmartCarb Cooking Magazine. (They called for a few things I didn't have so I rewrote it!) Mom gave me the subscription for Christmas. Has a few interesting recipes in this issue - but some of the ingredients are "picky". i.e.: This recipe called for frozen orange juice concentrate - but only 3 Tbs -- and I didn't want to have an opened container of frozen concentrate right now, so I substituted OJ and some honey later. It worked fine. There are other changes that I made too...but I shouldn't go into them all since there are probably some copyright laws I'd think... needless to say - I changed it enough!

Kimberli's Citrus Shrimp
Serves 2-3 people
(depending on if you have salad or additional courses)
1 lb shrimp, deveined (I remove tails too) I cut it up the back to butterfly so that it curls nicely. I had also cooked it ahead (I had to thaw too much the other night so cooked it all without seasoning & put the extra, cooked, ready in the fridge.) You can, of course, use raw shrimp.

Sauce:
1/8 cup melted unsalted butter
3 Tbs fresh Lime Juice
3 Tbs Orange Juice
1/2 envelope SazÓn seasoning
1 jalapeno or chili pepper

In a small microwavable baking dish, melt butter in Microwave. Remove from Microwave. Squeeze lime juice into pan allowing bits of the lime to fall in! Mix SazÓn into the Orange Juice. Toss shrimp in flour and then add shrimp, gently turning & spooning sauce over shrimp to coat thoroughly. Bake 7 min @ 450F then take out and turn over. Bake 7 more minutes.

Rice:
I use a rice cooker. Pack rice into a 1/2 cup or 1 cup measuring cup and turn out onto the plate.

Mango Salsa
(a staple in my fridge and guaranteed to go when served with tortilla chips at a party)

Chop the following into a container with a sealing lid:
1 red bell pepper, seeded
1 green bell pepper, seeded
2 Mangos, peeled
1 jalapeno or chili pepper depending on the heat you want
2 scallions, chopped (green & white parts)
1/8-1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (reserve a little for garnish of shrimp)

Squeeze juice from 2 whole limes into the container.
Shake-shake-shake!


name it again
Place shrimp on plate, pour a little of the sauce over the shrimp. Put the mango salsa around the rice. Top with the cilantro garnish.
SLOWLY Pour honey over fork to allow a very thin drizzle over the shrimp only.
(Only a tiny bit is needed here.)

I enjoyed it an ice cold glass of Salmon Run Johannisburg Riesling (New York 2003) and a glass of water with lemon while watching the snow fall!

MMMMMMMM-HMMMMM!


Oooh - What Classic Pin-up am I?

5 Comments:

Blogger Olugbemisola (Mrs.Pilkington) said...

that looks and sounds so delicious....

11:04 PM

 
Blogger valentina said...

Mmh-mmh-mmh. Maybe I'll have you cook for me ;-)

6:52 AM

 
Blogger Gewel said...

OMG, that looks so good. I'm sitting here eating oatmeal at 8AM, but all I wanna do now is go home to cook. Thanks!

7:56 AM

 
Blogger Jacqueline said...

given that shrimp is pretty much the only meat we're eating now a days, this will do the trick!

Thanks!

8:07 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

holy yum. that looks amazing and sounds divine.*drool*

ok now here's a tv show I just read about that you might appreciate!:
Craft Corner Deathmatch ?!?!
luv,avaD

4:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home