Creativity and Ramblings from the heart of NYC and around the World

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Last Day Away

Today was the last day away, returning to the city in the evening.
A fun day though!! Relaxed with the Sunday Times, sat at the beach for a bit, enjoyed the chicken wraps (the ones I showed cooking from yesterday.) Not bad at all! I always use dark meat because it tastes better, but the chicken I bought on my way out was spoiled when I opened it! Thankfully Allegra had some chicken breasts in the freezer which I substituted!

As promised, here's the chicken recipe. I've adapted it from a recipe I found years ago on the Food TV website. I'm sure it's still there if I took the time to look. There's recipe was a bit more fussy.

SPICED CHICKEN WRAPS
serves 3-4

1 14oz. can either whole tomatoes (you chop them) or chopped tomatoes
1lb dark meat chicken (thighs, legs) *Using chicken on the bone provides better flavor!*
1-2 Tablespoons butter
1 Tablespoon Cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne dried hot pepper flakes (or liquid) to your taste
Hot pepper flakes or liquid to your taste
*I often use a spicy chili powder in place of the cayenne AND hot pepper

Wraps (I like whole wheat)
Avocado
Lime
Cucumber
Cilantro
Salt

Melt the butter and brown the chicken a little. (Cook for just a few minutes.)
Pour the contents of the can of tomatoes, including juice, cumin and cayenne into a pan with the chicken and left it cook for about 40 minutes. Add the hot pepper if you are going to add it...a little goes a long ways! Cook a further 10-20 minutes.

Turn off the heat. Remove chicken parts. I use two forks and shred the chicken off the bones, returning the chicken to the pan. Cook down a further 10-20 minutes, watching as the liquid cooks off. It will disappear suddenly, so keep an eye on it. When liquid is gone, remove from heat and add salt to taste. (I use very little.)

I cook this up a day in advance and put it in the fridge overnight to let the flavors mix.

To serve, I mash up an avocado and juice from 1/2 of a lime and spread it on the wrap. I peel and thinly slice the cucumber, lengthwise, and toss it in a bowl with the other 1/2 of the limes juice.

Put some chicken mixture in the middle of the wrap. Add some cucumber strips and some cilantro leaves. Wrap it up (the avocado can also be used as the glue to help the wrap stick together.)

Yuuuuuum!
Enjoy!

After lunch and some beach time, we wandered to the next town over for some ice cream and chatting while Dan wandered around taking photos. I really like this photo Dan took of Allegra and I.
Now it's back to city life and work! (Which in iteself isn't all bad either!)

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home