Creativity and Ramblings from the heart of NYC and around the World

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

It's a wrap!
(what to do with those Holiday Catalogs!)

What's a girl to do with the plentiful number of thick-n-glossy Christmas catalogs that fill her mailbox showing items that fall into the "someday I wish" category?

I mean... They must have spent THOUSANDS on producing them (afterall, I know my budget for a far less high-end catalog!) What a waste to simply chuck them aside!!

Hmmm...Gather up the catalogs and items you wish to wrap...Tear out pages in tonally coordinating colors (it helps to keep the package from looking too busy! I found that J Crew, Bloomies, Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel were good catalogs to start with. There wasn't too much writing and the art direction of the catalogs was beautiful! Brookstone was not a good fit but Lands End would work in a pinch. I may make a few with text pages from Time Out (all text.)



Fold and stitch pages together (helps keep them from separating when you fill the package)...

Stitch and Pink and fold the ends in a half moon fashion and close the ends shut by wrapping with ribbon!!


I made tassles with yarn from the item inside...a little hint to start with!And voila!

If your pages are thinner than those of the glossy Bloomingdales (etc) catalogs, you can always layer a second page (two layers) underneath the top side page and fold away!! Because of the folding, the packages are pretty strong too!
No tape needed and I am able to use things I have around the house!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so inspired! I wish I hadn't thrown so many away! (how wasteful) Did you make an opening or stitch the gift up inside? (And silly me was going to use craft paper and scraps of fabric.)

9:45 PM

 
Blogger DDKK said...

Wow, that is Awesome! With a capital A!

4:01 AM

 
Blogger Delia said...

What a great idea!! If only I had the time this year - All my gifts are going into brown paper bags!!!

1:40 PM

 
Blogger theminx said...

ok - you are too frikkin' clever for your own good! Amazing...

1:46 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home