Creativity and Ramblings from the heart of NYC and around the World

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Loco: 1993-2007

14 years ago I became friend and care giver to a wonderful cat, a Siamese named Loco. Through 4 homes and 14 years, Loco greeted me daily when I got home and sat with me through lifes ups and downs. He was the most empathetic animal I've ever met. These last 7 years he's spent his warm days lounging in his garden and nights in his chair. He loved to sit on my lap and at most would put one paw over my yarn as I knit.

He always carried himself as a King, so regal with the bluest eyes...and he always sat just so with his paws tucked under.

In his soft chair I now sit with both of the boys (Coco & Chanel) who have been on and off my lap in between taking turns searching the house for Loco.

Tonight I made the difficult choice. After some difficulties these past few days, todays vet visit showed a massive tumor. Other things lead us to believe that it was cancer and it had spread to his lungs too. Additional complications were uncovered as I was told what I should expect (breathing difficulties and heart failure to start with.) The vet frankly wasn't sure how he was still breathing so calmly.

Rather than allow him to suffer through any pain, Dan joined me and helped to give me the strength to put him down before the pain that the vet said would begin very soon, if it hadn't already. He was such an amazing companion.

He is and will be missed. For those of you who've lost a pet, you'll understand. For those of you who haven't or maybe haven't even had a pet...I'd go through it again in a heartbeat to have such a wonderful and empathetic companion.

It will take a while to make the house feel like a home without him. You've been with me since college old friend and I'll try to keep the boys in line as well as you did. They miss you too.
xx

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so sad to hear that Loco has left us. He was truly a unique animal in so many ways, and I only knew him for a short period in the very beginning of his life. I imagine he developed many other amazing qualities as his life went on.

So, I am heartbroken, but I am also very very glad that he had such an amazing home and human companion to spend his life with.

I wish you and your family all the best Kim.

-Charlie

5:01 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ugh I'm so sorry to hear this sweetie. *virtual hug that I hope is felt*.
sad that I never got to meet him..he does indeed seem like a regal and gentle soul.
xoxo
Darlene

5:16 PM

 
Blogger Carina said...

*crying*

I lack words...
I feared I might have to read this..

*in disbelief*
I think its wonderful that you found the strength.. Part of me still refuses to believe he's gone.. and I cannot imagine how hard a decision it must be to make if he wasn't even in pain..

And yes, I cannot imagine how hard it must be to return home without him being there.

The emporer now rules a different place..
*still crying*

It hurts me so much to know. I cannot imagine your pain.

*warm hugs*
I feel with you..

*very sad*

6:19 PM

 
Blogger Dani said...

OH sweetie - i am SO sorry. We were so lucky to have these fuzzy little creatures in our life, to have shared so many ups and downs, to have comforted and loved and needed and enjoyed each others company... I know there are no words to soothe the ache in your heart, just know you are not alone, and that either is Loco - he shares the other side of the Rainbow Bridge with so many other loved companions, enjoying much of the same love and affection you showered him with in this life.

*hugs* darlin... I know :-(

6:33 PM

 
Blogger Rebecca said...

Oh, my heart just breaks for you! I'm so, so sorry. You were lucky to have known him for so long....

8:06 PM

 
Blogger Melanie J. said...

Right there with you, sweetie :( We put our Jordan down right before Thanksgiving...plus I'd met your Siamese and can attest to what a regal and BIG cat he was. Hugs to you!

9:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://kimberlinewyork.blogspot.com/2007/12/its-wrap-what-to-do-with-those-holiday.html

12:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWE...I'm sorry!!!!! Such an aweful thing! The boys will help you through!
Jan-Tan

12:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Words just are not enough. We are sorry to hear of your lost.
I cry as I write this, and most likely cry when I next see you.
If you need to talk I am here.
In the last few years I have had to say good by to two wonderful friends and loves ones.
Alice & Jim

12:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry; I know how much you loved to come home to him. For I guy who was never a cat lover, I
have to say he was a great pet and used to pop the pills and bring an inhaler with me when I visited so I could pet him. I will pass the news to Cat. Take care and hope to see you soon.
Love, Joe

12:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. I know...I had to let Sylvia Rachel Levine go
on November 29th, 2005. The hole in my heart is still there.

I remember Loco quite well...he let me share his space in 2004.
In fact...December, 2004...we worked together at your apartment
many times and he kept going in and out the window. It truly was
HIS apartment. I know you will miss him terribly.

Linda

12:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My deepest condolences, my dear. He will be regally missed for sure.

xox
jo

12:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you. I know how much you ache right now. For all it's worth he had a wonderful life with you and he was a lucky cat. I remember him fondly doing his infamous run around that house late at night. I am not a cat person but always had a fondness towards Loco, a sweet and gorgeous cat. Your pain will ease but your memories will always be strong. (That sounds so corny but it's true.) I hope you find some small comfort knowing you did the right thing. I wish I was there to give you a great big hug.

Please know you are in our thoughts.
Tara

12:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Kimmy. I'm so sorry. I hope you can find comfort in all your memories of Loco and in knowing that you protected and saved him from unimaginable pain and suffering. God bless him up there in kitty heaven.
DeJay

12:26 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My deepest condolences, Kim. Loco was an amazing companion and friend. He had a wonderful personality which is even more remarkable given his history. The way he always worming his way in to the middle of everything, or he would keep a paw on you as if he was keeping you from floating way. It was joy to have met and befriended him. May the boys, Dan, and your family bring you comfort during this sad time. -D

8:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home