Creativity and Ramblings from the heart of NYC and around the World

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Mumbai - Day 1

The Final Chapter: After hours

After we returned from our late lunch/early dinner Dan and I decided to go for a walk. In Mumbai there is a famous coastal road called Marine Drive which happened to be outside the door of our hotel. It runs from Nariman Point around to Chowpatty Beach. (Lower left hand corner of the map on the left.)

It was time for the sunset after all! The perfect time for a walk. (This first sunset photo is the view from our room.) Marine Drive is where people go at sunset for a stroll. Lots and lots of people, which means it's also a good place to people watch.

I love the caste cement jax that are along the waters edge. Dan has seen them in other cities before, but I hadn't. Anyone know what they are officially called? I really liked this photo of them.

(***UPDATE: Celia told me they are called dolo (singular) dolosse (plural). See her wikopedia link in the comments section of this entry! Thanks Celia!!!)

As we walked down Marine Drive we began to notice, like at the factory today, it was mostly men out and about. I'd been told at the factory that women worked more in the sewing and beading areas. (Something about women being better at that fine detailed work then the laborous work at the printing/dying factory.)

I'd say 1 out of every 20 people on Marine drive was female...or less. So...if the women aren't at the office...they must all be...at home? There were a few women in pairs walking and a few with a man walking... Hmmm...I'l have to ask more about THAT!As the sun set lower in the sky, I took another shot including the lit up buildings across the bay.


When we'd gotten sufficiently far down the road and decided to cross the street for the return journey, we happened upon this:



my first live Cricket game!!!

I am in the land of Cricket so it was a fun thing to watch, especially being played in a local park by the roadside. I was also the only woman there...the men were either giggly or unnerved that I was there...but I stood and watched (Dan wandered a bit to take photos.) Again -- no women around...


Upon returning to the hotel we were ready for bed. Dan's still fighting a virus and I'm simply exhausted! It was a fun Sunday though! Tomorrow it's knit factory time!! Weeeeeeeeeeeee!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kim! I am so amazed at how much you have done and seen! Thanks for sharing! When you are back in NYC- lets hang out! Heatherly

10:54 AM

 
Blogger Celia said...

Ok, so those jacks things are called dolos (singular) or dolosse (plural). See the Wikipedia entry here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolos
Finally someone asks something that I have done research on!!!

2:13 AM

 
Blogger The MacKay Way said...

CELIA!! I just KNEW one of my fellow bloggers would have the answer!! You are AWESOME!! Thanks!!
Cheers!
Kimberli

2:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home