Creativity and Ramblings from the heart of NYC and around the World

Friday, May 02, 2008

Flaming

Muffled chant...undecypherable.
Sounds of a screaming crowd.
Low murmuring.

These are the unusual sounds that woke me this morning from the 17th floor of my hotel on Nathan Road in Hong Kong.

"What is that? Did I leave the TV on?" I think to myself. Open one eye. No TV. Open the other. The sliver of open curtain is streaming in morning light.

It took a little while for me to wake enough to realize and remember what the stir was. Crowds had gathered since early morning to wait for their chance to see the Olympic torch pass by.

A look at the clock -- 7:30am...and hour before my alarm. A little while longer to rest. Shower. Breakfast and head out to my appointment.

All exits are massed with people. I decide to have a peek at the noise and scene. There were Chinese flags being proudly waved and masses of people in red shirts (people had been encouraged by the government to wear them in solidarity and support of the games.)

There were a few people protesting about democracy and China to my left with the crowds surrounding them chanting over them as loudly as possible to drown them out. Suddenly, not 15 seconds after I'd left the hotel the crowd swelled. The noise, WOW. Why? The torch was passing by.

I was able to get a few shots of the torch by lifting my camera over head. My view was that of - torch - no torch - torch - no torch - as I saw it bop over the heads of the crowds.




What a great way to start the day. Such a proud passion from the people.

Hmmm...now to fight the crowds to get to the subway. Let's hope they're equally as friendly then.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Sorka said...

Seeing the torch is so cool!
I'm hoping you are home in the states today!! And that none of your associates were harmed in that big quake today!
YOW!
Denise
knitchat.com

3:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home