Creativity and Ramblings from the heart of NYC and around the World

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The Cornification of America

After work I dashed uptown to meet up with Dan at his friend Carol's house for cocktails. There I had a lovely discussion with a wonderful woman named Martha about the book she and her husband wrote about Monasteries with guest houses to stay at across the US. I have to get the proper name of this book so I can post it. Apparently you can often stay at them (who knew.) Many of them have meals available and only one required that you attend services.


Following cocktails, we dashed across to the American Museum of Natural History for a lecture/ discussions led by Michael Pollan, author joined by guest Peter Hoffman, chef/owner of Savoy.
Tasted (see memo) while listening to some book exerpts and discussion on the Cornification of America. I'm reading his book: The Omnivore's Dilema: A Natural History of Four Meals.

Since high-fructose corn syrup replaced cane sugar in 25%+ of the foods in our supermarkets, our nations children have started to get type 2 diabetes, formerly known as adult onset diabetes.
Drink soda? You're drinking corn. Eat a McNugget - mostly corn. The shiney glaze on the cereal box? Corn. Because it's cheap...because it's a crop that is government subsidized... our meat farmers often now feed corn to animals that should only be eatting grass, knowing the animal will get ill...but they mix in some anti-biotics and voila, faster grown meat... ugh I could go on and on... READ THE BOOK! I also bought a copy of his prior book, The Botany of Desire and had a few copies of The Omnivore's Dilema signed for birthday gifts.

Really - read the book.
Again - all too little knitting going on over here!

1 Comments:

Blogger Stacie said...

You lucky gal, livin in the middle of it all! I can't wait to read that book, heard him on Fresh Air. I live in the middle of the freakin corn parking lot, it's disgusting. I worked for an ag lender (hated it!) and the farmers get super low interest loans to grow corn, that isn't even worth the work it takes to grow. Don't get me started! I have been researching sustainable farms in the area, and am surprised they still exist, tucked between the agri-biz corn glut.

2:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home