Creativity and Ramblings from the heart of NYC and around the World

Monday, February 19, 2007

Happy CNY in NYC!!
The Year of the Golden Pig

What a day!! I’ll start with the morning disturbance. I awoke to walk out of my bedroom and see this:
One of my little cats has suddenly taken to using my plants as a litter box (no wonder they are suddenly fighting for their lives!!) EWE! Trying to figure out how to stop them (ideas WELCOME!!) In the meantime I’ve put each pot into a trash bag and tied it up over the top. Hopefully it’ll stave it off. I’m traveling so much these next 8-10 weeks, I won’t be here to enforce anything. Help!!!

NYC FUN!!
After a quick phone called invite I popped on some warm clothes and met Joe, Emmanuel and their friend in from Spain, Rafael, for some ice skating at Lasker Rink in Central Park. The rink is small but well kept and you can skate (with renting skates) for $9.50. My rented skates were scarily dull, but they were happy to sharpen them upon my request.

This was my second time skating this winter. Fun! It was also Rafael’s first time skating – EVER! So we took turns teaching him a little of this and a little of that, and by the time we left, he was able to make laps without holding onto the wall. Good show!

From here we walked back through the park – just beautiful – I love this photo of Jo and I.
Where to next? We ended up at my house for some Smiley drink and Silver Moon pastries. What’s the happy drink?

Smiley Drink
Apple Cider
Butterscotch Schnapps
Granulated Sugar
Cinnamon
Wedge of Lime

On the stove, heat a slightly less filled cup of cider for each person. While the cider heats up, mix cinnamon and sugar to your liking and place on a flat bottomed plate. Moisten the rim of each mug with the lime wedge and roll the rim through the cinnamon and sugar. Being careful not to disturb the cinn-sug edge, drop a shot of Butterscotch schnapps into each mug. Once the cider is heated (no need to boil), gently ladle cider into each mug and serve!
You can’t help but smile as you drink it!

My three guests headed back to their homestead to prepare for the further festivities, and a few hours later I joined them for the Chinese New Year Steamboat celebration! She started with Tom Yum soup in the Steamboat and let it heat up until it was piping hot! We then added so many things!! Enoki mushrooms, bok choy, cabbage, noodles, chicken, prawns, tofu etc. etc. etc. YUM! We also enjoyed the the two cans of abalone that I brought Jo back from Hong Kong. It’s a traditional dish in Singapore and in China for CNY. Simply open the can, slice and serve. Yum!

Thanks for putting so much care into this special meal Jo!! Yum yum yum!!
By the way -- your fancy scarf is coming along so well! I can't believe how well you've picked up knitting! I'd like to think it's my teaching that did it -- but I really think you're a natural!
Happy Chinese New Year all!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Happy CNY, Gong Xi Fa Cai

8:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home